Staying at the Top of Your Game
In order to remain licensed, foster families need 16 hours of on-going education each year. We call this “in-service training” and it’s available from a variety of sources: Utah Foster Care (UFC) training staff, local peer support groups (Clusters), and from a handful of approved outside providers. In addition to in-service classes you may take in-person, we also offer a growing library of live and recorded online classes. Both in-person and online courses may count towards your 16-hour requirement.
Training hours not offered by Utah Foster Care must be pre-approved by your Resource Family Consultant.
Skills Building with People You Know!
Peer support groups (what we used to call “Clusters”) host small-group training on a regular basis. A calendar of upcoming training events hosted by Utah Foster Care support groups is available in each Foster Roster (our bi-monthly magazine for foster/adoptive parents). Issues of the Foster Roster are mailed every other month to currently licensed foster parents and are also available for download.
Attending local support group gatherings on a regular basis is not only a great way to get the emotional and logistical support you need to succeed, it’s a great way to stay on top of the training you need to renew your license.
Northern Region — Serving Box Elder, Cache, Davis, Morgan, Rich, & Weber Counties.
- Cache Valley — Facilitated by Laura in Logan
- Box Elder — Facilitated by Holly in Brigham City
- Ogden — Facilitated by Amber & Millie in Ogden
- Weber West — Facilitated by Heather in Clearfield
- North Davis Co — Facilitated by Jenn in Clearfield
- South/Central Davis Co — Facilitated by Mandi in Bountiful
- Spanish-speaking North — Facilitated by Gaby in Ogden
- Level 3 — Facilitated by Jill in Ogden
Maegen Bernardo — (385) 333-7187 — manages the groups for this part of the state.
Salt Lake Region — Serving Salt Lake & Tooele Counties.
- Salt Lake Metro — Facilitated by Rachel H in Salt Lake City
- Kearns/Magna/WVC — Facilitated by Kylie in Kearns, Magna & WVC
- Sandy/Draper — Facilitated by Janet in Sandy & Draper
- Southwest Valley — Facilitated by Heather in South Jordan, Riverton, & Herriman
- West Jordan — Facilitated by Ruthann in West Jordan
- Murray/Midvale/East Salt Lake — Facilitated by Nan & Marcos in Murray
- Tooele — Facilitated by Stephanie & Blair in Tooele
- Spanish-speaking Salt Lake — Facilitated by Ruth in Murray
Tina Porter —(801) 783-4655 — manages the groups for this part of the state.
Western Region — Serving Juab, Millard, Summit, Utah, & Wasatch Counties.
- North Utah Co — Facilitated by Britta in American Fork & Eagle Mountain
- Central Utah Co — Facilitated by Beth in Orem & Provo
- South Utah Co — Facilitated by Teresa in Spanish Fork & Payson
- Wasatch & Summit — Facilitated by Heidi in Park City & Heber City
- Post-adoption — Facilitated by Ronnett in Orem
- Level 3 — Facilitated by Staci in Orem
Heidi Naylor — (801) 462-0747 — manages the groups for this part of the state.
Eastern Region — Serving Carbon, Daggett, Duchesne, Emery, Grand, San Juan, & Uintah Counties.
- Uintah Basin — Facilitated by Shanna & Teresa in Vernal & Roosevelt
- Carbon & Emery — Facilitated by Karen & Janarie in Price & Orangeville
- Grand & San Juan — Facilitated by Jackie & Kaycee in Moab & Blanding
Kobi Prettyman — (435) 636-0210 — manages the groups for this part of the state.
Southwest Region — Serving Beaver, Garfield, Iron, Kane, Piute, Sanpete, Sevier, Washington, & Wayne Counties.
- St George — Facilitated by KC in St George
- Cedar City — Facilitated by Vicki in Cedar City
- Richfield — Facilitated by Holly in Richfield
- Manti — Facilitated by Connie in Manti
Diane Callister — (435) 216-3297 — moderates the group for Washington, Iron, Kane, Garfield, and Beaver counties. Marissa Douglas — (435) 979-2233 — moderates the group for Sevier, Sanpete, Wayne, and Piute counties.