Skip to main content

Stepping up for Vulnerable Children

DCFS (Utah’s Division of Child & Family Services) is concerned with the overall safety and well-being of each child in foster care. One way they show this commitment is to ensure that un-immunized children are placed into homes that can show that everyone in the home is current on immunizations.

Did you know that most foster families in Utah can’t document their immunization status? This means that DCFS is having a tough time placing infants and other unimmunized children into otherwise available, loving homes. Fully immunized families are desperately needed in order to provide homes for children in care.

According to the Office of Licensing, and the Utah Department of Health, the following vaccines are required:

MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
  • Persons born before 1957: 1 dose for women of childbearing age and for all adults not born in the US.
  • Persons born in or after 1957: 2 doses of MMR, at least one month apart.
Varicella (If you’ve NOT had chickenpox)

2 doses.

If you have had chickenpox in the past, just let Licensing know. No other documentation is needed.

Hepatitis A

2 doses (second dose after 1 month).

Hepatitis B

3 doses (second dose after 1 month, third dose after 6 months).

Td/Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis [Whooping Cough])

1 dose of Tdap; Td booster every 10 years.

Influenza (optional)

Annual influenza vaccine is optional, but recommended for everyone 6 months of age and older.

How do I show I’m current on immunizations?

Check with mom!

Remember that little card you received as a kid detailing when you got your shots? Probably not…but mom might! Many applicants have successfully found their immunization records this way.

Vaccine Titer

A vaccine Titer (pronounced tie-ter) is the measure, or level, of antibodies in the blood stream. Your doctor can order this test. If you have any antibodies below a satisfactory level, you can get those specific immunizations redone.

Get re-immunized

Most insurance companies will cover immunizations at no cost. However, please check with your personal insurance to confirm coverage.

We can look it up!

The Utah Department of Health is graciously making their immunized persons database available to Utah Foster Care, in order that we might help with your verification.

Please have each individual (aged 18 and older) in your home fill out and submit the form below. Once completed, a representative from Utah Foster Care will assess which immunizations are still required. You will then be e-mailed a list of the immunizations on record. If nothing is listed, contact the State Health Department in the state where you received your immunizations for access to whatever hard copies they may have on file (or check with mom—she may still have it!).

  • MM slash DD slash YYYY

With this record in hand, you can simply set up an appointment at any pharmacy, present your immunization record and insurance card to the pharmacist. Most insurance companies will cover immunizations at no cost. However, please check with your personal insurance to confirm coverage.

What do I do from here?

Once the initial round of vaccines has been administered, you will be considered current on your immunizations and will be able to accept placement of children in foster care for whom there is no immunization history! Remember…be sure to stay up on your boosters to ensure continued compliance and to always check in with your doctor if you have questions about your medical care.


Should you have any questions about immunizations, Kevin DeMass President/CEO of Apothecary Shoppe has offered his assistance. He can be reached at (801) 521-6353.

Thank you for your commitment to children in care!