My name is Camille Grimshaw and I am excited to be the artist coordinator for this year’s Chalk Art Festival presented by Utah Foster Care on June 16-17th at The Gateway. It is the festival’s 15th year and we are looking forward to making it the best one yet – and for that to happen, we need you!
In response to your feedback, we are pleased to announce that we’ve reduced the cost of artist participation. In addition, there will be two separate registration processes; one for adults and another for students. Please read the information below carefully and note the deadlines.
This year, all adult artists (age 18+) must submit artwork upfront and go through a selection process.
Registration fee per square:
- Individual – $25
- Team (up to 4 artists) -$40
Step One – Fill out our short application form http://utahfostercare.org/caf-jury/. Your application MUST include an example of your past artwork, as well as an image of the artwork you are proposing for the festival. The application will have instructions on how to submit the artwork.
The deadline to apply is March 31st at 4:00pm.
Step Two – Once your application is reviewed, you will be notified by end of day April 8 and provided a link to complete the registration process and pay the registration fee. Fees are nonrefundable and a portion will go to support programs for children in foster care.
Participants ages 12-17 can register as an individual or team beginning Wednesday, March 15th at http://chalkartfestival.eventbrite.com/.
Registration closes when all spots are filled so register now. Teams are encouraged!
Registration fee per square:
- Individual or team (up to 4 artists) – $20
Student artists are required to provide a copy of your proposed artwork but the process is first come, first served, as in past years. The registration is not complete until the artwork images are emailed to: email@example.com. There are a limited number of squares for the student section so please register early.
Things to consider before applying:
- All applications MUST include 1-4 images. First image should be the proposed idea for this year’s festival. The other images should be of the artist’s past artwork, chalk preferred. Applications without images will not be considered.
- Artists may either create an original piece or a reproduction. If the artist is creating a reproduction of someone else’s artwork they MUST give that artist credit. If the artist is still living, permission must be granted to use their artwork.
- All artwork must be family friendly. Also please avoid anything political or anything that could be considered an advertisement. Utah Foster Care holds the festival to promote our message that educates the public on why children in foster care need more homes. You may not “sub-advertise” another cause within your art square.
- Teams will be provided with chalk. Teams will be provided with chalk. Artists may use WASHABLE tempura paint (not provided) as a base for their artwork, but it should be layered with chalk on top. Oil based pastels, fixatives, or paints are NOT allowed.
- Participants will also be provided t-shirts and lunch on Saturday. Please consider bringing shade to protect you from what can be very hot temperatures.
- One member of the team must check in on Friday. If no one checks in, the assigned space will be reassigned and the registration fee will be forfeited.
- Squares will be available in 8×6, 8×8, and a limited number of 8×12.
- By participating, all artists agree to allow UFC to use images taken at the festival which may include artists and their artwork to promote future festivals as UFC deems appropriate.
- This year’s theme is “Share Your Heart.”
Utah Foster Care’s Chalk Art Festival was founded in 2003 and is held every year over Father’s Day weekend. The festival’s primary goal is to bring awareness about Utah children in foster care who need families to provide nurturing homes. We hope you can join us in this celebrated event to use your talents towards spreading our message.
As a participant in the festival for over 10 years, I am happy to answer any questions you have about this year’s event. I look forward to seeing you in June!